Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pierre Bourdelle - Cincinnati Union Terminal





... amazing reliefs cut in linoleum and colored with oils, lost art-deco masterpiece.

Pierre Van Parys Bourdelle was born in Paris, France, on April 21, 1901, the son of the famous French sculptor Antoine Bourdelle (1861-1929). He fought in WWI, suffering severe physical trauma which resulted in him becoming deaf. He was embittered by the experiences which he suffered, and it shows in his art.

Bourdelle studied under Rodin (who studied with the senior Bourdelle), graduated from Lycée Henrî 1918 and the Sorbonne in 1921. In 1929 he moved to the United States. He was an artist in New York in the 30's-40's and like most financially strapped artists, Bourdelle tried to make a living with corporate contracts. He produced large scale paintings, mural and reliefs for many architectural projects in New York and other cities, as well as for a number of ships, including the huge murals in the dining room of the SS America

6 comments:

pbourd said...

Thank you Llado, very complete, with one small correction: my father, Pierre Bourdelle almost exclusively used lacquer paint on his carved linoleum murals, (with a paste-wax final buffing). Peter A. Bourdelle

Lado Pochkhua said...

Dear Peter, thanks for your note! I think the works of your father in Cincinnati Union Terminal are amazing, masterpiece waiting to be discovered ...

Unknown said...

I have a lovely painting by Pierre Bourdelle called "Guitar Player". I purchased it in 1997 from Wendy Weaver who told me she purchased it from Peter Bourdelle in 1985. I think Wendy worked at the Graham Gallery. I would love to know more about the painting---when it was painted, the inspiration for the painting etc. It seems very Bracquean to me. Please contact me if you have any information.

S.Eckert said...

Douglas, I'll forward your question to my husband (Peter). I'm sure he'll have a response soon.

pbourd said...

Douglas & Lado, many of Pierre's Lacquered Linoleum's are still in circulation, and welcome discussions by Gmail (pbourd) or call me (listed in Allentown PA). Can supply complete listing of PB's major works 1930-1966. My wife Sandy directed me here, thanks!
Peter Bourdelle

Jerry DeMaagd said...

A mural (wax emulsion paint on canvas) was executed by Pierre Bourdelle of New York that is still in place in the United State Post Office in Rockford, Michigan, USA. Titled, "Along the Furrows" it was commissioned in 1937 under the artists program, Section of Fine Arts, of the Federal Works Agency during the depression in the U.S. at that time. I would be interested in a complete history of his works. gdemaagd@comcast.net

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.